The Garden Plog

My garden plot blog to chronicle the vagaries of my own little acre and the stuff I love.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Attack of the squash bugs and a death in the garden

The squash bugs have finally arrived. For the past three days I've gone hunting. It's amazing how the mind can become tuned in for the littlest of things. As long as it doesn't go too far and I start seeing squash bugs on my hollyhocks. *yee gods* The yellow crooknecks have been producing for a few weeks now, but I just ate my first pattypan over the weekend. Very tasty, and the cuteness factor is quite high.

The currant tomatoes have gone bonkers, but haven't ripened yet. The San Marzanos and Prin. Borgheses are doing well too. Last year the tomatoes were an unmitigated disaster, but for some reason this year is doing exceedingly well. As the Mr. has said- at least you're getting the garden in instead of the garden getting you.

I'm also excited about a second flush of peas. That's the first time it's happened. But my much anticipated monarch butterfly didn't hatch from the chrysalis. The chrysalis started to go translucent, but something got into it and killed the butterfly. It was just a dry husk. *alas*

I've also begun the reclamation of the 2nd third of the original plowed ground of the veggie garden plot. Black plastic DOES have it's uses from time to time. This year it's going to be my late summer/autumn sown crops. More peas, spinach, broccoli and lettuce.

The black raspberries that the birds had sown produced some fruit, but I still don't like them and shall be shovel pruned at my earliest convenience. However there was also a blackberry in the mix. I think it's R. argutus, but can't be sure. At any rate, it will be given houseroom next to the red raspberries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home